Re: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] Some use cases and requirements for broadcast TV applications

On 19/4/11 17:23 , Bob Lund wrote:
> The challenge is - which higher level abstractions get built into the
> user agent? UPnP is well-defined in terms of services and abstraction
> of interfaces to those services. MC-DNS based services are not so well
> defined: the set of services is open ended and the interfaces to the
> services are service-specific. In this case, it does not seem
> practical to consider incorporating all the higher level abstractions
> into the UA.
JCD: Can I reformulate this into "it is not practical to always enforce
the higher level abstractions" ?
Is it not optimal to have the two options, the higher level abstraction
when the service protocol supports it, and the lower level one when only
this is available ?

Let me extend my structured API proposal into:

interface HNMessage {
         attribute DOMString name;
 attribute DOMString payload;
}

interface HNStructuredMessage extends HNMessage {
         attribute HNArg args[];
}

interface HNArg {
         attribute DOMString name;
         attribute Boolean isInput;
         attribute DOMString type;
         attribute DOMString value;
}

When the service protocol supports it, the message is a HNStructuredMessage.
When the service protocol does not support it, the message is a plain
HNMessage.

Would that not work for you ?
Best regards
JC