Re: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] UPnP AV 4th Revision (UPnP AV-4)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:51:04 +0200, Russell Berkoff
<r.berkoff@sisa.samsung.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> It appears that some of use-cases have been submitted that appear to
> address scenarios already considered in UPnP.
>

> Any suggestions on the best way to resolve this?

Hi Russell,
good point you raise here

My take on this:

# If we agree on this template
<http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/HNTF/Use_Cases_Template>
would be good that submitted usecases are re-written according to it.

# Independently from the template, for each use case we have to answer
these questions
- Why were you not able to use only existing standards to accomplish this?
- What might you suggest could be standardized?

# Identifying that some usecases are already covered by existing
technology is also a possible outcome of this TF work, so if this is the
case we should identify this coverage and document it.
This is also mentioned in the TF charter draft (that we will discuss today)
<http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/HNTF/Home_Network_TF_Charter#Deliverables>

Note though that having another technology already covering a usecase is
not a reason to automatically drop any proposal of work to be done in W3C.
Of course if an existing technology already exist, there should be a good
reason to do the work "again". The goal of this TF is exactly to discuss
these issues.

In order to easy the discussion, I would encourage you to point out which
usecases are already well covered by which part of UPnP (pointing to
existing public specifications).
Note that the lack of open standards addressing a particular use case
could also be a reason to motivate some work to be done (but this is not a
rule, so it needs to be discussed on a case by case base)

What is the opinion of other participants on this?

/g

> Regards,
>
> Russell Berkoff
>
> Samsung Electronics