Re: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] Security concerns around Home Networking APIs

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:16:28 +0200, Matt Hammond
<matt.hammond@rd.bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Giuseppe,
>
> Another class of security concern could be access by unauthorised users
> (via their personal devices). For example, a family may wish to prevent
> any website that the children view on their PCs or phones from being
> able to query and/or control other devices on the home network (such as
> the lounge TV) unless explicitly authorised to do so.

Agree, in my opinion this was listed under the first bullet of "Malicious
attacks"
"An external server can control an HN device (e.g. send spam to your
printer)"

/g
> The pairing code mechanism you suggest is one possible way of achieving
> this.
>
> regards
>

> Matt
>

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 13:06:34 +0100, Giuseppe Pascale
> <giuseppep@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> we have discussed in several places (workshop, this mailing list, etc)
>> how important it is to address privacy and security concerns around
>> Home Networking Technologies.
>>
>> In order to trigger some discussion, I started a new document about
>> Security.
>> The idea behind this document is to collect all reasonable concerns and
>> a list of possible solutions.
>> I don't think is in the scope for this TF to decide on one solution,
>> but I think would be valuable if this group could come up with an
>> analysis and a list of suggestion for a WG to work on.
>>
>> The document is as usual available on the wiki
>>   http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/HNTF/Home_Network_TF_Discussions/Security
>>
>> I'm sure there are more things that can be written, so feel free to
>> comment on it and propose extensions or corrections to it.
>>

>> /g

TV & Connected Devices
Opera Software - Sweden