RE: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] Timing of this TF (was: New TF on Home Networking - Call for Participants)

Hello,

There are a number of folks in the DAP WG that should fully understand UPnP protocols. However, it's not clear that the DAP WG currently deals with the usages UPnP is intended to address.

I've provided a very brief description of low-level UPnP protocols (aka UDA):

UPnP in a Nutshell

Model:
Remote Client/Server Programming (Remote Procedure Calls)

Hierarchy:
Device/Service Description (DDP) -> Devices -> Services +-> Actions -> Arguments
                                                        +-> Variables
Discovery (UPnP Devices/Services):
SSDP

Invocation Model:
SOAP

Eventing:
GENA

Glossary:
GENA - General Event Notification Architecture
SOAP - Simple Object Access Protocol
SSDP - Simple Service Discovery Protocol
UDA - UPnP Device Architecture - Describes the low-level UPnP Discovery and Eventing protocols.
UPnP Device/Service Description - XML documents describing UPnP Devices and UPnP Services
UPnP Device - An instance of one or more UPnP Services
UPnP Service - A collection of zero or more UPnP Actions and UPnP Variables
UPnP Action - An API (executed remotely between a client and server)
UPnP Arguments - Parameters and results from UPnP actions.

Using this common framework, UPnP defines various Device [Models] such as Media Servers and Media Renderer that allow for selection and distribution of media within the home.

Regards,
Russell Berkoff
Samsung Electronics