Re: [web-adv] Minutes 2 November, next calls 16 and 30 November

Thank you everyone for the productive discussion on PUFFIN.

I mentioned Prof. Johnson's research -- here's a link to his "Economics of
Ad Identity" literature review:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1juu6UBguR7ru1Rhfyor9knFBFsyLNP6FmIiXcJKyJZM/edit#slide=id.g604c6519b1_0_1

Meanwhile other sources claim that cross-site tracking can reduce revenue
for some publishers. Recent blog post:
https://digitalcontentnext.org/blog/2021/11/16/surveillance-advertising-isnt-just-problematic-it-eats-publisher-profits/

The original points of PUFFIN were that both sets of literature on
cross-site tracking have something to them, and that the interests of users
in receiving ad-supported content are aligned in some ways with the
interests of the sites that publish that content.

Michael Kleber asked about the impact on user privacy. It is likely to be a
privacy and/or security failure for a pre-existing interest group ad to
display on a low-trust or low-engagement site. The prospect of getting a
valuable interest-group ad creates an incentive for the operators of these
sites to get traffic by problematic means such as email and forum spamming
or subverting browser extensions and other software. When a good ad shows
up on a bad site, it's a risk at more levels than just the good site that
would have otherwise gotten the ad and the user who would have been able to
get a bit more ad-supported content.

The problem of users bouncing from an untrusted site but only after an
unwanted transfer of information to that site could also affect Trust
Tokens: https://github.com/WICG/trust-token-api/issues/82

Happy to discuss further in whatever forum is appropriate.