Michael E. Smith
Chief Data Officer
Hearst Magazines

On 7/22/20, 3:50 PM, "Jordan Mitchell" <Jordan@iabtechlab.com> wrote:

    I very much support this perspective. Very few of our member companies have the dedicated resources necessary to keep abreast of the issues, understand and contextualize them, evaluate and opine.

    Jordan Mitchell
    SVP / Head of Consumer Privacy, Identity and Data
    IAB Tech Lab

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Valentino Volonghi <dialtone@nextroll.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 9:11 AM
    To: public-web-adv@w3.org
    Subject: Issue digests

    hey,

    I have a feeling that many participants in our tuesday calls probably don't have the time or haven't yet spent the time to review the issues that have already been created in the various proposals. I also think that it's possible that even if they have checked those issues once or twice, they may not be keeping up to date with the new ones being opened or further comments on others.

    I'm wondering if it would be useful to have some form of digest about the topics being discussed at a spec level with a short summary of the conversation in the issues.

    If I didn't misunderstand it, Michael Kleber, in the meeting previous to the last one, mentioned that he would want to see broader agreement on these issues before committing to changes in the spec. I think this is a reasonable position and having these digests would allow us to organize smaller sub-groups of members that are interested in discussing and resolving a more common position on each of those issues such as product recommendations, request flows, reporting delays and so on. As well as allowing Google and other vendors to express their high level opinion about the issue as a general item in this group, so we don't waste time working through items that have no chance of being picked up. I think it's quite hard to build consensus on an issue in a 1 hour weekly call with 200 participants.

    I'm not sure who would write the digest on the various issues, or what would be the process for it, or even organize those issues in topics (GitHub tags can certainly help the organization), but I think if this group thinks that it would be valuable we can probably discuss how to make this more real.

    --
    Valentino Volonghi
    CTO, Founding Team