Re: Packaging and advertising?

Hey Phil, nice to hear of you…

Advertising has never been in my focus but, you are right, there are some similarities. So here are my reactions to your questions…

- Is packaging still a hot topic in DPUB?

Yes, very much so. However not in the sense of us developing anything in term of packaging. There is a Web Packaging work happening elsewhere and we are supposed to be consumers of that work only.

However… it is very fuzzy. There was a document on Web Packaging edited years ago in the TAG by Jeni, but that was abandoned and then taken up by some people from Google. The work has changed significantly insofar as adding lots of things that are security related to ensure integrity of the components, as well as using CBOR to encode the content itself. All this while maintaining the idea of delivering a multipart MIME as part of the package.

The practical problem that the work is now discussed with IETF as well, because there are some aspects that are more general related to signatures associated to HTTP exchanges. There are some documents around, but a bit spread around for the time being. A good place to start is:

https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/blob/master/explainer.md <https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/blob/master/explainer.md>

How long the specification work will last for this is unclear, and certainly out of the DPUB team's control.

- Is it too late to think about use cases?

I do not think so. If you follow that link there are some use cases listed already:

https://wicg.github.io/webpackage/draft-yasskin-webpackage-use-cases.html <https://wicg.github.io/webpackage/draft-yasskin-webpackage-use-cases.html>

And no, there is no advertising related use case yet.

- Package can include a chunk of JSON-LD

Yes. It is a multipart mime, ie, anything that can be transferred via HTTP can be included in the package…

I hope this helps!

Ivan

> On 22 Mar 2018, at 19:48, Phil Archer <phil.archer@gs1.org <mailto:phil.archer@gs1.org>> wrote:
>
> Hi Ivan,
>
> I've just been on an initial call for Liam's new Web Advertising BG
> where we're beginning to think about possible use cases. It's early days
> and the direction of travel is not yet clear, but one topic that came up
> was that of the integrity of an ad - delivering a set of resources. That
> made me think of the DPub work on packaging.
>
> Some questions (to which I couldn't find the answers)
>
> - is this still a hot topic in DPub?
> - is it too late to think about use cases?
> - is/was advertising ever thought of as a use case?
> - presumably a package can include, among other things, a chunk of
> JSON-LD describing the advertised product?
>
> In short: what's the status of the work on packaging, please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Phil
>

> --
> Phil Archer
> Director Omni Channel Retail
> https://www.gs1.org <https://www.gs1.org/>
>
> http://philarcher.org
> +44 (0)7887 767755
> @philarcher1
> Skype: philarcher
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY / DISCLAIMER: The contents of this e-mail are  confidential and are not to be regarded as a contractual offer or acceptance from GS1 (registered in Belgium).
> If you are not the addressee, or if this has been copied or sent to you in error, you must not use data herein for any purpose, you must delete it, and should inform the sender.
> GS1 disclaims liability for accuracy or completeness, and opinions expressed are those of the author alone.
> GS1 may monitor communications.
> Third party rights acknowledged.
> (c) 2016.

----