Command line / text application language

From: Peter Korn <peter.korn@oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 21:59:43 -0700
To: "public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org" <public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org>, Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net>, Loretta Guarino Reid <lorettaguarino@google.com>
Hi gang, and also Jason & Loretta,

With the assistance of Janina Sajka and Jason White (cc-ed), I have
developed Proposal 8 for "command line interfaces", which can be found
at
https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/cross-cutting-issues-and-notes/command-line-interfaces

As per feedback from WCAG WG, this draft does the following:

  * Speaks in the third person
  * Has a much shorter section to appear within the main document (as a
    proposed Chapter 4, appearing right after Closed Functionality)
  * Has the bulk of the text appearing as an appendix (a new Appendix B)
  * Has been thoroughly reviewed & vetted by two very experienced
    command line / text application AT users, namely Janina Sajka and
    Jason White

I had the AI from WCAG WG to get this text vetted by a subteam first,
whose members included Loretta.  However, in the interest of time - so
as to not miss this weeks' WCAG2ICT meeting and sufficient survey time -
I'm including Loretta at the same time as the TF for review rather than
waiting to put this forward to the TF until after her feedback.  Loretta
- please share any concerns you have now, so we can address them in our
TF meeting this Friday, in hopes of bringing this to WCAG WG next week
Tuesday.

I would also like to formally invite our expert Jason White to this
discussion, as he may be the best person available to answer any
questions about how command line / text application screen readers work,
since Jason "lives" in Linux/UNIX, and is a power user of BRLTTY and
emacspeak (with Janina being more expert in the third Linux/UNIX screen
reader user base, Speakup).

In talking with Jason & Janina, I was particularly impressed by the
power of these screen readers, both when they combined with other common
command-line tools (e.g. 'cut' for trimming columns of fixed-width text
for effective interactions with columnar/tabular data), and also thanks
to the scripts built into emacspeak (which provide heading navigation to
a variety of "structured" text documents such as 'man' pages and).

Regards,

Peter
--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>