From: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
To: Peter Korn <peter.korn@oracle.com>,
Cc: Michael Pluke <Mike.Pluke@castle-consult.com>,
            "public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org" <public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org>
Date: 06/05/2013 05:10 PM
Subject: Re: Two variants for the redefinition of "accessibility
            services  of software"

That's great Peter,

that covers all my issues,  yours , and Mikes too (I think)

            - services provided by an operating system, user agent, or
            other platform software that ENABLE non-Web documents or
            software to expose information about the user interface and
            events to assistive technologies.

Nice wordsmithing.

(and thanks MJ for the inspiration leading to this)

Gregg
Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Director Trace R&D Center
and Biomedical Engineering University of Wisconsin-Madison
Technical Director - Cloud4all Project - http://Cloud4all.info

Co-Director, Raising the Floor - International - http://Raisingthefloor.org

and the Global Public Inclusive Infrastructure Project -  http://GPII.net

      Rather than getting into minutia, let me just jump to Mary Jo's
      proposal:

      <snip>

            So I think we should go with Mary Jo's version.

            MARY JO WROTE

               - services provided by an operating system, user agent, or
               other platform software  that can be used by non-web
               documents or software to expose information about the user
               interface and events to assistive technologies.

            (if you don't like USED maybe use    "relied upon"

      I think we can go with a variant of this.  To wit:

            - services provided by an operating system, user agent, or
            other platform software that ENABLE non-Web documents or
            software to expose information about the user interface and
            events to assistive technologies.

      The software may or may not actively use these accessibility
      services.  To be an accessibility service, it has to enable something
      to happen.  And "exposing information" isn't as active - it is
      something one could reasonably say is being done by markup (e.g.
      "ALT=..." is exposing information, and the underlying accessibility
      service is utilizing that exposed information).

      Just as I wouldn't quibble with high school physics teaching
      Newtonian physics and omitting relativity, I don't see any reason to
      quibble with accessibility services "enabling non-Web documents" to
      this audience.

      Peter

      --
      <oracle_sig_logo.gif>