Re: Two variants for the redefinition of "accessibility services of software"

Gregg,

Let me try this another way:

Software contains at least logic statements - things like "if-then".
Software processes input, generates output.  In contrast, markup (like
HTML, which some people call "code" but I would simply say "is an
encoding") doesn't contain such logic.  It doesn't actually process
input.  It isn't the thing that /generates /the output (it may /be /the
output, but that is different).

So: if something is software - e.g. Javascript in a web application -
then it is software.  It is covered by the existing text.  If something
is NOT software - e.g. a static web page - then it is /only/ a document
(with whatever markup), and so it is /only /the user agent that is
taking advantage of "accessibility services" or "other software APIs".

Make sense?

Also, I disagree with your statement below. /All /software does in fact
make use of some form of platform services.  Even software that only
calculates the Fibonacci series and prints the result or writes it to a
file.  It is using /some /platform service to print the result, to
open/write to the file.  In fact, /even software that does no i/o /is
using some platform service /just to be loaded into memory/.  Many kinds
of software don't have a visual UI (daemon services for example), and so
aren't covered by WCAG2ICT and don't have any reason to use platform
accessibility services.  But they all use some kind of platform
non-accessibility service.

As to "pure HTML/markup" documents that have form fields: again, there
is no /logic /there.  The user agent does the logic. The user agent
notices the click (or <ENTER>) on the "submit" button, etc.  If you
really want to push things and say that the markup contains /some /logic
(mapping the submit button to a particular new URL so that the "if-then"
of "if click then go to page" logic is in the markup), I'll grant you an
edge case.  But again, there is so little logic there, and the HTML
isn't /actively/ utilizing any accessibility APIs, etc.  I find this a
much cleaner distinction to make.

Note by the way, we had /this same /problem/discussion in TEITAC.

Peter

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>