Re: User Interface Context

A product is a set of user interface contexts
But so are other things.  If the definition of product was a set of uics you would be correct.  but it is only an example.  You cant  plug an example in and call it self referential.

so it becomes

 User Interface Context == set of user interface elements and the presented information within a [an entity with defined borders that contains User Interface Contexts]  that can be accessed using only navigation commands.

you will note that that phrase is not actually elementally defining the UIC but rather limiting it.   ALSO you will note that the definition is not of a UIC but of a UIC (by one author).

AH I see the problem.  In my original posting to the list I pointed to our definition which was  "User Interface Context (by one author)".   When people picked it up they dropped the (by one author) but kept the  phrase "Within a product" which limited it to one author.  And I didn’t notice the drop.

if you take the (by one author) out -- you take the clause out -- and you get

User Interface Context (by one author)
== set of user interface elements and the presented information, within a product, that can be accessed using only navigation commands.

NOTE: A product is an example of something with defined scope that contains user interface contexts

and

User Interface Context
== set of user interface elements and the presented information that can be accessed using only navigation commands.

so neither is self referential

Thanks for highlighting that the phrase "(by one author)'   was dropped and is an important part of this to keep UICs from bleeding out to contain the whole UIC (which includes all programs available via navigation   (and perhaps the input devices as well).

Gregg
Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Director Trace R&D Center
and Biomedical Engineering