Re: Failures for SC 2.4.4

Hi Loretta,

On 01/10/06, Loretta Guarino Reid <lguarino@adobe.com> wrote:

> To determine whether SC 2.4.4 provides accessibility guidance, we need to
> determine what uses failure 2.4.4.

I'm not sure what you mean by failure 2.4.4. In the how to meet for
this success criterion, there are no failures. Should we create some?

> Looking at web sites raised the following
> questions for me:
>
> 1. Should the use of a table cell for context only apply to data tables, and
> not to layout tables? Can we write the technique in a way that makes this
> clear?

A layout table has no structural elements (other than table, tr, td)
or structural attributes, so it would be impossible to provide context
for a layout table. For a data table, I'm not sure that the context
would provide enough information. For example, if you have a data
table where one of the columns contained links to a company, but they
all user the same link phrase, "Details", where would the context be
provided? The header details wouldn't provide sufficient context for a
particular cell, as the header would apply to all columns or rows
(depending on its scope). It would be possible to provide a complex
relationship between individual cells, but data table are very rarely
marked up with that amount of detail:

-----

In above example, the last cell is programmatically associated with
the cell whose id is c3, so the context for Details could be evaluated
as being for "XYZ Consultancies"; is that the kind of relationship
you're referring to? Although this relationship works, it's a very
rare scenario, as headers tend only to be used on tables with a
complex relationship that have more than one logical header. It's more
likely that the association between a cell and its header in a data
table would apply to more than one cell, which would result in
ambiguity when relying on the data table alone for context.

> 2. When a paragraph, list item, or table cell is used for context, how much
> mark-up can there be between the link and the context-providing element? For
> instance, if a paragraph contains a list or table, and the list or table
> contains a link, should it be possible to use the "enclosing paragraph" as
> the context for the link?

A paragraph couldn't contain a list or a table. In terms of defining
relationships that could allow programmatic association, I would leave
it that inline elements get their context from their immediate parent.
For example, a link in a table cell could get its association from
sibling elements and/or text in the table cell, but expecting the
context to be provided at a higher level isn't reasonable (in my
opinion).

Regards,

Gez

--