RE: Proposed change to GL 3.1 L3 SC3

Agree with John.

----- Messaggio originale -----
    Da: "John M Slatin"<john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
    Inviato: 21/09/05 21.58.38
    A: "Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com"<Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>, "public-wcag-teamb@w3.org"<public-wcag-teamb@w3.org>
    Oggetto: RE: Proposed change to  GL 3.1 L3 SC3

    Thanks for the proposal, Becky.

    I would suggest one small editorial change to clarify the example of an
    initialism.

    <revised>
    initialism - an unpronounceable abbreviation made from the initial
    letters
    of a name that contains several words.  Not defined in all languages.
    SNCF
    is a French initialism that contains the initial letters of the Societe
    National des Chemins de Fer, the French national railroad.
    </revised>

    <current>
    initialism - an unpronounceable abbreviation made from the initial
    letters
    of a name that contains several words.  Not defined in all languages.
    SNCF
    is a French acronym that contains the initial letters of the Societe
    National des Chemins de Fer, the French national railroad.
    </current>

    The change I'm proposing is to replace the phrase "SNCF is a French
    acronym" to "SNCF is a French initialism..."

    Rationale: it might be confusing to use the word "acronym" in an example
    showing what an "initialism" is, especially since the definition also
    (necessarily) contains the word "abbreviation."

    John

    "Good design is accessible design."

    Dr. John M. Slatin, Director
    Accessibility Institute