R: tags and titles to make text clear?

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: John M Slatin [mailto:john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu]
Inviato: mercoledì 14 settembre 2005 15.31
A: Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG; lisa@ubaccess.com; public-wcag-teamb@w3.org
Oggetto: RE: tags and titles to make text clear?

Roberto writes:
So, where we said:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-GENERAL/meaning-other-lang-id.html

The natural language of each foreign passage or phrase in the content can be
programmatically determined. [I]
NOTE: This requirement does not apply to individual words or to phrases that
have become part of the primary language of the content.

We want to said: don't mark these words?

I think Roberto is correct. It's my understanding that, as written, this SC
(GL 3.1 L2 SC1) does *not* require marking language changes for individual
words or for phrases that have effectively been absorbed into the primary
language of the content. There was substantial discussion about this on the
list some time ago, with many people arguing that such a requirement would
be virtually impossible for authors writing in some languages to meet--
there are languages that use "foreign" words very heavily-- but they borrow
the *words* without borrowing their pronunciation as well.

Roberto Scano:
Gosh, my post is for the opposite position :)
The problem is: how can we guarantee that people understand the meaning of a
word if this word is not spelled correctly?
Marks word/words is also a benefit for people with learning disabilities and
I think we should suggest to mark the code: otherwise (as for RFC
Requirements), user don't have the RFC 2070 (and HTML 4.x and newer)
requirements for lang attribute:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2070.txt

"Language tags can be used to control rendering of a marked up document in
various ways: glyph disambiguation, in cases where the character encoding is
not sufficient to resolve to a specific glyph; quotation marks; hyphenation;
ligatures; spacing; ***voice synthesis****; etc. "