Re: Working list for Team A

Hi All,

I took a look at #10 and #34. I've included the original comment in its
entirety followed by notes and a proposed resolution below.

Name: Jason White
Email: jasonw@ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au
Affiliation: none
Document: W2
Item Number: (none selected)
Part of Item:
Comment Type: TE
Guideline 1.2 does not require, at any conformance level, audio
descriptions of live video; only prerecorded video is covered.

Audio description of live video is possible, at least in some
circumstances. It can indeed be accomplished at a high level of quality,
as in live plays where describers have access to scripts in advance. In
other situations, such a degree of quality and accuracy may not be
attainable, but descriptions could still be attempted.

Are there situations in which it would be technically and practically
infeasible to provide audio descriptions of live video? If so, this item
could be introduced at level 3, otherwise it is a candidate for level 2.

Proposed Change:
Add a success criterion at an appropriate level requiring audio
descriptions of live video.

Notes:
Previous drafts (before 23 November 2005) included a similar criterion
at level 3, "Audio descriptions of video are provided for live multimedia."

A proposal to delete this success criterion was raised and discussed on
27 October 2005.

RATIONALE: because it is almost impossible to do unless the live
multimedia is scripted so you know when people are not talking so you
can speak audio descriptions. In that case we are only talking about
live plays or something and that was not seen as a major enough type of
content on the Web for us to have a success criteria all about it.

resolution: delete Guideline 1.2 L3 SC3 - audio descriptions (live
multimedia)

http://www.w3.org/2005/10/27-wai-wcag-minutes.html#item02

Proposed Action:

Add a general advisory technique for Guideline 1.2 titled, "Providing
audio description for live multimedia."

Proposed Resolution: (accept_partial)

A criterion similar to this proposal was included in previous drafts of
WCAG 2.0. However, the working group decided to remove it since this is
almost impossible to do unless the live multimedia is scripted. The
working group did not feel that live scripted events were applicable to
a wide enough range of web content to be included at the success
criterion level, but plans to include advisory information about
providing audio descriptions for live multimedia in the future.

Name: steven faulkner
Email: steven.faulkner@nils.org.au
Affiliation:
Document: W2
Item Number: Success Criterion 1.4.1
Part of Item:
Comment Type: TE
The success criterion refers to "Text or diagrams". From the definiton
of "text" in Appendix A:Glossary, it appears that images of text are not
included. This can result in web authors using images of text (with a
foreground/background luminosity ratio of less than 5:1) to circumvent
this Success criterion

Proposed Change:
Include an explicit reference to the inclusion of images of text in
terms of this success criterion.

Notes:

I don't think this interpretation reflects the intent of this success
criterion, but can see the point given the definition of text we
currently have.

current definition of text:

text

     sequence of characters

     Note: Characters are those included in the Unicode/ISO/IEC 106464
repertoire.

Proposed Action:

Update SC 1.4.1 and 1.4.3 to read:

[current]
1.4.1  Text or diagrams, and their background, have a luminosity
contrast ratio of at least 5:1.
1.4.3  Text or diagrams, and their background, have a luminosity
contrast ratio of at least 10:1.
[/current]

[proposed]
1.4.1  Text, images of text, diagrams, and their background, have a
luminosity contrast ratio of at least 5:1.
1.4.3  Text, images of text, diagrams, and their background, have a
luminosity contrast ratio of at least 10:1.
[/proposed]

Proposed Resolution: (accept)

Revise as proposed.

--