From: Wilco Fiers [mailto:wilco.fiers@deque.com]
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2016 9:32 AM
To: public-wcag-act@w3.org
Subject: Change proposal WCAG Techniques model with ACT Rules

Hi team!

During the TPAC meeting we had an interesting discussion about the relation between WCAG techniques and ACT Rules. The WCAG group is currently discussing failure techniques. We had a quick discussion and I want to send a proposal to the WCAG WG, to see if our work can help with there problem. The way we discussed it is as follows:

There is a certain overlap between WCAG Failure techniques and ACT Rules. Failure techniques have a negative 'tone' to them, and many of them are difficult to test. What we'd like to do is design our ACT Rule Suite in such a way that it could and eventually would replace the failure techniques. ACT Rules would be much more testable, and have a clearer relation to sufficient techniques. e.g. Sufficient Techniques give developers a way to meet a criterion, ACT Rules are for testing the accessibility. Neither is an exhaustive list, but they can be grown over time to cover ever more ground.

The way I'd think this could happen is that as Auto-WCAG comes up with ACT rules for the ACT Rule Suite, we'd start putting those rules in the place of failure techniques, removing failure techniques as we add more rules.

We'll have this on the agenda for next Wednesday's meeting. Please e-mail me if you have any concerns you want to discuss.

Regards,

--
Wilco Fiers - Senior Accessibility Engineer

[cid:image002.jpg@01D216FE.05971F60]