Re: Framework Doc - Accuracy Benchmarking

As I mentioned on an earlier ACT call, DIAS will start the two year COMPARE Erasmus+ project (DIAS, DE; Funka, SE; Braillenet, FR --  full title is "COMparing Peer Accessibility Ratings in Evaluation") January next year.

The aim of COMPARE is to define real life test cases around particular, more complex types of widget (say tab panels, combo boxes or pseudo dialogues) or types of situation (e.g., error handlinng, confirmation messages after submitting) and invite experts to rate the conformance of the cases - i.e., if they think it fails, list the SC that failed and comment why. Or list why an issue / defect can be tolerated and the cases still passes. So this will produce some manual test data that you are after.

The input should of course not only come from the three partner orgs, but from other experts active in a11y testing. Every practitioner will be invited to contribute their rating of the cases listed (including comments, e.g. tests from WCAG techniques or failure techniques they compared the implementation against) or submit new cases.

Comparing individual ratings of the same case should allow us to get an idea of the spread and the degree of inter-tester reliability.  The aim is also to conmpare, especially across Europe, different approaches in operationalizing the SCs in the form of concrete test steps. As you can imagine, there are many cases where testing approaches differ.

Just as an example, I have heard that to pass 2.4.1 in France's AccessiWeb scheme, you'd have to include skiplinks AND headings AND landmarks whereas if I read WCAG documents, it would seem that any of these alone would suffice.

Another example around 2.4.1: if you DO use skiplinks and landmarks but one of your skiplinks doesn't work, would you fail 2.4.1? (Probably not, IMHO - but exactly that we would like to establish, in a bottom-up perspective from all the experts that care to contribute to the repository).

I am participating in ACT but currently can't make the telco due to an important privarte engagement on Wednesday - I am looking forward to assume a more active role next year and look forward to interfacing our results with the ACT work.

We hope to have the website up an running soon - if interested, drop me a line off-list.

Best,
Detlev

--
Detlev Fischer
testkreis c/o feld.wald.wiese

Mobil +49 (0)157 57 57 57 45
Fax +49 (0)40 439 10 68-5

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites