Re: Accessibility Conformance Testing (ACT) Rules Format 1.0 Feedback

Hi Allistair,

I wanted to address your first point to hopefully provide some clarity on why it's entirely a non-issue that the structure of the output data from Alfa, aXe, and possibly other tools "diverge". The whole point of JSON-LD, RDF, and by extension EARL, is for data consumers to be agnostic to the exact structure of a piece of data, as long as the data is expressed in terms that are well understood by the consumer. Consumers do not need to care about whether a piece of data is structured as an expanded JSON-LD graph (what Alfa outputs) or an arbitrary JSON document with a JSON-LD context on top (what aXe outputs).

What consumers are interested in are the terms expressed in the data, such as `earl:Assertion` or `earl:TestResult`. When consumers know what they're interested in, they can then frame (https://json-ld.org/spec/latest/json-ld-framing/) the data however they want to make it follow whatever structure their systems accept. As an example, consider this frame used when building the implementation reports for the ACT-R website: https://github.com/act-rules/act-rules.github.io/blob/develop/build/implementation-json-ld-frame.js. When applied to output from either Alfa or aXe, the resulting data has the exact same structure regardless of whether it came from Alfa or aXe.

In summary, the structure of the output data doesn't matter; what matters is that it's expressed in terms defined by EARL.

Kasper Isager
Product Owner, Accessibility

Siteimprove
Sankt Annæ Plads 28 | DK-1250 København K
kki@siteimprove.com | +45 31 23 42 44