Re: Draft RDIG Charter for review and comment

At 09:58 PM 5/12/2004 +0200, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>OK as is, but suggest the following changes in the group's practice, which
>could be reflected by changes to the charter:
>
>This charter seems reasonable, but experience shows that it is hard to
>plan and schedule the teleconference events. It is not clear that anything
>will change in this regard.

The scheduling difficulties are most likely tied to current resource
levels, which may change.

>Perhaps a renewed focus on using the mailing list, and on closer
>integration with other WAI groups, would be more appropriate as a way of
>stimulating activity, and exchange of information. I don't know if that
>needs any particular change in the charter.
>
>I am not so clear about the role of a document on incoroporating
>accessibility in research. Beyond the fact that any decent research into
>human factors should be incorporating disability as a factor (along the
>same lines as medical research needs to include people from both genders
>if the plan is to unleash the results on both genders), it seems very
>difficult to write a general document about how to include disability
>factors. Moreover, it seems something that the EO group is better
>qualified to do.

EOWG could collaborate on such a resource but RDIG is the group in the
position to accumulate observations, after a sequence of teleconference
events, about how research projects may respond to guidance on inclusion of
accessibility considerations. It is possible that such a resource is under
development elsewhere but various researchers have expressed interest in
having such a resource available.

- Judy

MIT/CSAIL Building 32-G530
32 Vassar Street