Re: Draft RDIG Charter for review and comment

OK as is, but suggest the following changes in the group's practice, which
could be reflected by changes to the charter:

This charter seems reasonable, but experience shows that it is hard to
plan and schedule the teleconference events. It is not clear that anything
will change in this regard.

Perhaps a renewed focus on using the mailing list, and on closer
integration with other WAI groups, would be more appropriate as a way of
stimulating activity, and exchange of information. I don't know if that
needs any particular change in the charter.

I am not so clear about the role of a document on incoroporating
accessibility in research. Beyond the fact that any decent research into
human factors should be incorporating disability as a factor (along the
same lines as medical research needs to include people from both genders
if the plan is to unleash the results on both genders), it seems very
difficult to write a general document about how to include disability
factors. Moreover, it seems something that the EO group is better
qualified to do.

By contrast, one thing the group might do is offer to work with particular
projects, and how they can best incorporate accessibility into their work,
more along the lines of the Semantic Web Best Practices Working Group.
This might lead to some conclusions that can be generalised (or to a
conclusion that there is little that is general beyond the very obvious
basics).

Some example projects might include working with the Concept Coding
Framework group, who are developing techniques for interchange of
documents written using symbol sets such as PCS or Bliss, with providing
access to VoiceXML for Deaf people through alternative interfaces, or
looking at developing audio editing interfaces for structured and styled
content. It seems that a quick teleconference on this kind of topic might
not be as valuable as an ongoing discussion, and that WAI might be able to
bring its very strong connection to and understanding of the fundamental
architecture of the Web as a major added value to the discussion. A
commitment of four hours per week might be better spent in asynchronous
discussion by email than in trying to find appopriate times for a
teleconference.

This could in principle be done under the current charter and released as
the resources on research, or with minor editorial changes  to suggest the
shifted focus.

cheers

Charles McCathieNevile
--