Re: evaluating web applications (was Re: Canadian Treasury Board accessibility assessment methodology)

Hi Shadi (and everyone)--

We've reviewed both software and websites for accessibility and have
found several differences.

The first is that software often requires more manual review since it is
often in a proprietary format that browser-based tools (like Web
Accessibility Toolbar) can't diagnose. It can also have more complex
interaction.

The second is that we're more often asked to be part of the development
process, which will involve more iteration with developers. In other
words, they will ask us to review a page, we will critique, they will
respond, we will review a second time, etc., which leads to more
conversations back and forth about how things should work in terms of
accessibility.

Ultimately, however, we are reviewing against the same set of standards
(WCAG 2.0 AA) and therefore expecting the same accessibility.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

On 5/23/2012 2:12 PM, Peter Korn wrote:
> Shadi,
>
> I can't speak to "usual practice" for web accessibility evaluators.  I
> think that software organizations generally who are implementing
> accessibility support simply test for it alongside general software
> testing.  E.g. on a regular basis as new internal builds are released
> to testing, QA will look at things like keyboard operability, theme
> support, color/contrast issues, and interoperability with assistive
> technologies.  Programmatic testing will be a part of this as much as
> possible.  QA practices to ensure code coverage generally would also
> apply to accessibility testing -> focus on those places where
> engineering has indicated new features were added or UI has changed;
> run some set of "sanity tests" to ensure that the most critical and
> basic functionality isn't broken (e.g. always try to read a known good
> sample web page each time you get a new build of Firefox), etc.
>
> But this is different from a one-time review of an application; this
> is about the software development process and working to ensure
> accessibility is there - like any other feature and like overall
> functionality - as the product is being built.  I don't know how to
> adapt that process - which may involve hundreds of hours over a
> multi-year development cycle - to a one-short WCAG evaluation of a web
> application.
>

> Regards,
>
> Peter
>
> On 5/23/2012 12:30 AM, Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there a suggested approach/procedure for sampling functionality
>> within an application, as we have for web pages within a website? Is
>> this usual practice that web accessibility evaluators take?
>>
>> Best,
>>   Shadi
>>

>> On 22.5.2012 23:24, Peter Korn wrote:
>>> Shadi,
>>>
>>> I don't believe one can make an effective, useful, meaningful
>>> conformance claim
>>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/#conformance-claims>  about many classes
>>> of web
>>> applications today. That class includes things like web mail, and
>>> many kinds of
>>> portal applications (particularly where they only employ a single URI).
>>>
>>> I do believe it will be possible to evaluate web applications for
>>> accessibility
>>> - similar to evaluating non-web applications for accessibility - but
>>> I expect we
>>> will need to do something that is different from the binary
>>> "perfection"/"imperfection" of the current conformance claim
>>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/#conformance-claims>  rubric. The
>>> Canadian Treasury
>>> Board example takes a step along that path in shifting from one binary
>>> "perfection"/"imperfection" statement to a two tiered, percentage
>>> collection of
>>> 38 binary "perfection"/"imperfection" statements. But we need to go
> [...]

Michael S. Elledge
Associate Director
Usability/Accessibility Research and Consulting
Michigan State University
Kellogg Center
219 S. Harrison Rd Room 93
East Lansing, MI  48824