Re: evaluating web applications (was Re: Canadian Treasury Board accessibility assessment methodology)

Shadi,

I can't speak to "usual practice" for web accessibility evaluators.  I
think that software organizations generally who are implementing
accessibility support simply test for it alongside general software
testing.  E.g. on a regular basis as new internal builds are released to
testing, QA will look at things like keyboard operability, theme
support, color/contrast issues, and interoperability with assistive
technologies.  Programmatic testing will be a part of this as much as
possible.  QA practices to ensure code coverage generally would also
apply to accessibility testing -> focus on those places where
engineering has indicated new features were added or UI has changed; run
some set of "sanity tests" to ensure that the most critical and basic
functionality isn't broken (e.g. always try to read a known good sample
web page each time you get a new build of Firefox), etc.

But this is different from a one-time review of an application; this is
about the software development process and working to ensure
accessibility is there - like any other feature and like overall
functionality - as the product is being built.  I don't know how to
adapt that process - which may involve hundreds of hours over a
multi-year development cycle - to a one-short WCAG evaluation of a web
application.

Regards,

Peter

On 5/23/2012 12:30 AM, Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a suggested approach/procedure for sampling functionality
> within an application, as we have for web pages within a website? Is
> this usual practice that web accessibility evaluators take?
>
> Best,
>   Shadi
>

> On 22.5.2012 23:24, Peter Korn wrote:
>> Shadi,
>>
>> I don't believe one can make an effective, useful, meaningful
>> conformance claim
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/#conformance-claims>  about many classes
>> of web
>> applications today. That class includes things like web mail, and
>> many kinds of
>> portal applications (particularly where they only employ a single URI).
>>
>> I do believe it will be possible to evaluate web applications for
>> accessibility
>> - similar to evaluating non-web applications for accessibility - but
>> I expect we
>> will need to do something that is different from the binary
>> "perfection"/"imperfection" of the current conformance claim
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/#conformance-claims>  rubric. The Canadian
>> Treasury
>> Board example takes a step along that path in shifting from one binary
>> "perfection"/"imperfection" statement to a two tiered, percentage
>> collection of
>> 38 binary "perfection"/"imperfection" statements. But we need to go
>> further than
>> that.
>>
>> I think the components of such a successful evaluation will need to:
>>
>>    * Recognize (as EvalTF is already doing) that only a
>> sampling/subset of
>>      everything that a user can encounter can be effectively
>> evaluated in a
>>      finite and reasonable amount of time
>>    * Provide greater granularity in the evaluation reporting - one
>> that is
>>      designed to accommodate the reality of imperfect software while
>> nonetheless
>>      providing useful information to those consuming the evaluation
>> report such
>>      that they can make informed decisions based on it
>>    * Incorporate the concepts (as EvalTF is starting to do) of uses
>> (or use
>>      cases) of the application so that the evaluation is meaningful
>> in the
>>      context of how the web application will be used
>>

>> I am eager to get further into these discussions in EvalTF, some of
>> which may be
>> logical things to discuss as we review feedback from the public draft
>> (including
>> some of the Oracle feedback... :-). And as I mentioned, we've already
>> started
>> exploring some of this already.
>>

>> Peter
>>

>> On 5/22/2012 2:09 PM, Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:
>>>  Hi Peter,

> [...]

Phone: +1 650 5069522 <tel:+1%20650%205069522>
500 Oracle Parkway | Redwood City, CA 94065