Re: methodology and method

I think the rationale (methodology) needs to be well argued and
referenced and cannot really be very short. It is just a type of
document that has a different purpose and audience compared to a
succinct procedural instruction. The latter should be optimised for
the practitioner tackling a website and should have little or no
theoretical ballast.

Quoting Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org>:

> Hi Detlev,
>
> I'm not sure what the others think but I'm not convinced we need two
> documents. The "rationale, audience & scope, rationale of sampling"
> sections should probably be very short to set the scene for the main
> sections but maybe this is unclear from the table of contents alone.
>
> Best,
>   Shadi
>

> On 25.10.2011 09:45, Detlev Fischer wrote:
>> Hi Shadi, hi all,
>>
>> I made a suggestion a while ago to decouple the methodology (rationale)
>> from the method.
>>
>> * Methodology: rationale, audience & scope, rationale of sampling
>> and sampling methods, measurement of score / tolerances,
>> references etc.
>>
>> * Method: a usable procedure for the actual testing of websites, e.g.:
>> - make entry check (site applicable for testing)
>> - select WCAG level applied (A, AA, AAA)
>> - define page sample, select states and processes
>> - run through procedure proper, with checkpoints based on WCAG
>> success criteria and all checks needed to test whether the sites
>> meets them - which in case of 1.1.1 and 1.3.1 probably means
>> several checkpoints
>> - generate report and, if applicable, conformance statement
>>
>> The reason is simply that the procedure gets lost in the draft Table of
>> Contents. We also need to think from a point of view of the users of the
>> method.
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> Detlev
>>
>> Am 18.10.2011 11:59, schrieb Shadi Abou-Zahra:
>>> Hi Detlev,
>>>
>>> I believe we agreed that the Methodology would explain how to use WCAG
>>> 2.0 Techniques for evaluating web page samples rather than to duplicate
>>> them or to create synthesized versions of them.
>>>
>>> If we go down that route we risk re-interpreting WCAG or running into
>>> maintenance issues for chasing web technologies as they are released.
>>>
>>> I think we should, as far as possible, decouple the Methodology from the
>>> detailed "alt-text checking"-level; this is already covered by WCAG.
>>>
>>> Having said that, I can imagine improvements to the "How to Meet WCAG2"
>>> quick reference [1], to better address the need of evaluators rather
>>> than developers. For example by organizing the Techniques thematically
>>> rather than by Success Criteria. However, this would be separate work.
>>>
>>> [1] <http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/quickref/>
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Shadi

> --
> Shadi Abou-Zahra - http://www.w3.org/People/shadi/
> Activity Lead, W3C/WAI International Program Office
> Evaluation and Repair Tools Working Group (ERT WG)
> Research and Development Working Group (RDWG)

Detlev Fischer PhD
DIAS GmbH - Daten, Informationssysteme und Analysen im Sozialen
Geschäftsführung: Thomas Lilienthal, Michael Zapp

Telefon: +49-40-43 18 75-25
Mobile: +49-157 7-170 73 84
Fax: +49-40-43 18 75-19
E-Mail: fischer@dias.de

Anschrift: Schulterblatt 36, D-20357 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 58 167
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Lilienthal, Michael Zapp