Re: earl:Outcome (was Re: ACTION-30: Updated EARL 1.0 Schema)

Hi Shadi

Shadi Abou-Zahra schrieb:

> Johannes Koch wrote:
>>
>> Shadi Abou-Zahra schrieb:
>>
>>> It is indeed clearer and is simpler for sub-classing. For example,
>>> you can create a my:probablyPass class from earl:cannotTell pretty
>>> easily because it is defined as a class. This is an essential
>>> functionality.
>>
>> The earl:Outcome http://www.w3.org/ns/earl#cannotTell is not a class,
>> it's a resource.
>
> Do you mean the resource of type class can not be sub-classed  (ie to say
> "my:probablyPass - rdfs:subclassOf - earl:cannotTell")?

In RDF, every class is a resource. But not every resource is a class.

earl:Outcome is a class (its rdf:type is rdfs:Class) and so can be
sub-classed (e.g. my:CannotTellOutcome rdfs:subClassOf earl:Outcome).
earl:cannotTell is a resource, an instance of earl:Outcome, but not a
class itself, and so cannot be sub-classed.

Someone who wants to extend the outcome vocabulary part, might do the
following:

<rdf:RDF ...
   xmlns:my="http://www.example.org/my#">

<!-- define new class CannotTellOutcome as a sub-class of earl:Outcome -->
<rdfs:Class rdf:ID="CannotTellOutcome">
   <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/ns/earl#Outcome"/>
</rdfs:Class>

<!-- make http://www.w3.org/ns/earl#cannotTell of type
my:CannotTellOutcome -->
<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/ns/earl#cannotTell">
   <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.example.org/my#CannotTellOutcome"/>
</rdf:Description>

<!-- define a new value probablyPass which is of type
my:CannotTellOutcome -->
<my:CannotTellOutcome rdf:ID="probablyPass">
</my:CannotTellOutcome>

</rdf:RDF>

--
Johannes Koch
Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology FIT