From: public-wai-ert-request@w3.org On Behalf Of Nils Ulltveit-Moe
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 09:28
To: public-wai-ert@w3.org
Subject: Re: EARL, Typed Node Elements and abbreviated syntax.

Thanks you, Charles

I thought it would be nice for other newcomers to be aware of the fact
that EARL in RDF/XML can have several representations. That puzzled me
at first, especially since there was no examples of the non-abbreviated
EARL syntax on the web. Now there is :-)

Regards,
Nils

tir, 08,.03.2005 kl. 17.46 -0500, skrev Charles McCathieNevile:
> Hi,
>
> EARL is RDF, and the "abbreviated syntax" is legal RDF equivalent to
the
> "full syntax". (There are in fact other syntax variations that are
> possible, but since very few people are generating EARL, and in
particular
> because so far few people are reading it and then handing on results
they
> haven't appeared much. Yet.)
>
> If you want to know which RDF tools can handle RDF you should run them

> against the RDF test suite (or look for EARL results that suggest that
> particular library can handle RDF... Oh. EARL was in its long dark
sleep
> when the RDF group were testing tools, so they made up their own thing

> instead. I guess it is easy enough to write a convertor).
>
> The current draft EARL spec uses a number of things, including entity

> declarations, to try and make the syntax slightly more readable. Since
RDF
> is a) meant for machines, not people, an b) about as readable in any
form
> it apears in, the version I drafted that actually validates doesn't
use
> the entity stuff. It means the document is longer, but it relies on
fewer
> things being implemented in order to achieve interoperability.
>
> So I think we should point out to developers who don't understand how
RDF
> works that YES, the two versions (and several others) are equivalent,
and
> they need to expect that.
>
> I typically process EARL with CWM, which is happy to accept anything
that
> in real RDF (and some stuff that isn't) although it generates a
particular
> serialisation itself. I am prety sure that RAP, Raptor, Redland, Jena
all
> have no problems dealing with the variety of RDF i it is valid. The
> ARP-based validator also gets it right, and shows the same graph for
any
> partiular syntax you feed it.
>
> Cheers
>
> Chaals
>
> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:09:54 -0500, Nils Ulltveit-Moe <nils@u-moe.no>

> wrote:
>

> > Hi
> >
> > Is the Typed Node Elements and abbreviated XML representation of
EARL

--
Nils Ulltveit-Moe <nils@u-moe.no>