New logo Re: ERT Action Item: Use Case Scenarios for EARL

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 21:33:13 +1000, Giorgio Brajnik
<giorgio@dimi.uniud.it> wrote:

> I agree, of course.
> One detail: Judy (in a private communication) mentioned that we probably
> need to devise a new logo, as the old one is already in place in some
> many website that it is unreasonable to ask people to provide an earl
> report to justify its posting.

I don't agree with this. While it would be unreasonable to force everybody
to do this, I don't think it hurts to ask.

Formally the copyright conditions laid down by W3C mean that it is a
breach of copyright to us the label without having assessed conformance to
the relevant level. Ths is not actively policed in any way, and it would
be nice to see W3C make some minimal effort to ensure that the label
actually means what they claim. (For example on CSSZengarden it apparently
means "follow this link to find out how to check whether this page meets a
conformance level" and NOT "this page meets the triple-A conformance level
of WCAG", which is a flagrant breach of the conditions of use).

Asking people to back the logos with EARL seems like something that
strikes a reasonable balance between not causing grief to people who think
they are doing the right thing, and trying to ensure that the label is
useful enough tothe user comunity that people will take notice of it for
any real decision-making.

cheers

Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org