Re: web form for tcdl

Hi Vangelis,

At 20:45 15/05/2007, Evangelos Vlachogiannis wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I had an action item [1] to bring the discussion about web form we
>had during last teleconference.
>
>I was thinking about the web form during last week and it was not
>really clear to me what will be the purpose of the web form. I find
>two possible alternatives:
>
>1. Make a very simple web form containing submitter {name,
>organisation, email}, and upload fields for tcdl metadata files and
>all supporting files (either single zip or one by one). In this case
>this is simple to implement but require more work from task force participants.

Since you are comparing this option with an AJAX-based form, I assume
you mean a technically simple form (just HTML, CSS, possible some
client-side JavaScript checks). I don't see why such a form would
only have fields name, organization, e-mail address and file upload.
More specifically, why would we ask submitters to create and upload
TCDL? Why can't we have form fields for each of our metadata fields,
have a server-side script check the data, generate TCDL from this and
send the TCDL and the content files to the list?

>2. Make a web form capable of creating tcdl online. In this case as
>the interface going to be complex I was wondering if we could use
>rich client technologies. Having that in mind I did some "play
>around" with such technologies. I have found a tool named ajaxforms
>[2] that can be used to transform xforms to ajax interfaces. I have
>made a very simple demo for testing. [3] is the ajax generated
>interface and [4] is the actual xform I have developed.
>Having such an interface this can be a useful tool for promoting the
>submission by people out of the task force and provide automatic
>structural validation (see xforms validation capabilities). On the
>other hand except for requiring much more effort ;), the major issue
>is the accessibility of such technologies even if there are claims
>for the opposite (i.e. [5]). Note that ajaxforms seems not to use
>dojo but we could either try its accessibility or use other tool
>like chiba [6].

Is anybody willing to evaluate the accessibility of the interface?
I think the style sheet needs to be adapted because the background of
the tabs ("Submitter Information", "Formal Metadata", ...) looks bad
when you zoom the page. Colour contrast of the active tab may also be an issue.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
K.U.Leuven - Departement of Electrical Engineering - Research Group