Re: Wiki: proposals for templates and index page available for review

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your comments and questions.

At 15:44 12/02/2007, Tim Boland wrote:

>Forwarded message (in case I didn't send it earlier)
>

>>To: public-wai-ert-tsdtf@w3.org
>>From: Tim Boland <frederick.boland@nist.gov>
>>Subject: Re: Wiki: proposals for templates and index page available
>>for   review
>>
>>(...)
>>
>>If a test sample can undergo several structure reviews, does this
>>mean that one person will do multiple reviews at different times
>>(maybe implied since there is a "Reviewer" assigned), or different
>>people will do different reviews?  If the latter, how do  we know
>>who does which review?

That's a good point. Even if it is more time-efficient to have one
person do most of the reviews of a test sample, it is good to
accomodate the template to allow for different reviewers. (People
join and leave the task force or may be temporarily not available,
etcetera.) I see two ways to address this issue.
1. We move the "Reviewer" heading so that it appears above each
review. Then it is always clear who did what.
2. We keep the "Reviewer" heading and keep it up to date with the
current reviewer because it may not be important who did the other
reviews? (And if you really wanted to know, you could retrieve
earlier versions, as in every Wiki.)

Option 1 sounds better to me. For the test sample index (or status
list [4]), I think it is sufficient to just list the current or
latest reviewer.

>>For structure review, should there be a column for additional comments?

That sounds like a good idea.

>>Also should there be definitions of "committed",
>>"available", "valid", etc. for a reviewer to consult?

We have definitions at
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/2006/tests/process#labels in our review
process document. This process document is referenced from the Wiki's
front page. I thought that would be sufficient, but we can also add
the link to the template.

>>Should there be a link to "the naming conventions", "the correct
>>format", and "the correct syntax" for the reviewer to consult?

Would it be sufficient to reference the naming conventions
(http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/tests/usingTCDL#naming) from the process
document? For correct syntax of identifiers of test samples, we could
refer to the same location.
"dates and other values use the correct format" could be made more
specific: "date and version in 'formalMetadata' use CVS keywords
($Date$ and $Revision$, respectively, for test cases that are first
added to the CVS)."

>>Why is the "unintentional" in there for "broken links"?

This is to allow for intentionally broken links, in test cases where
this makes sense. Perhaps we could reformulate this as: "there are no
broken links unless the purpose of the test justifies/requires broken
links" (and if links are intentionally broken, test metadata MUST
mention this).

>>What exactly are "other values" and "other texts" (maybe some examples)?

We have fixed values for dc:creator and dc:rights. The relevant
sections in "WCAG 2.0 Test Samples Metadata"
(http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/tests/usingTCDL) refer to the metadata
template for the actual values. (Having those values - long-winded
XML - inside the document was a nuisance for screen reader users.)

>>What does it mean for locations to be "referenced correctly" and to
>>be "consistent with each other"?

Location poiinters, if available, must reference the actual locations
of the issues or failures. This is not hard, but something that might
be forgotten when test files are changed ...
Our metadata allow for different types of pointers: line and column
numbers, XPath, ... When providing more than one type of pointer
(each inside the same 'location' element), each must reference the
same location. For identifying different locations, one must use
several instances of the location element
(http://bentoweb.org/refs/TCDL2.0.html#edef-location).

>>If defects are found in the structure review, how are those
>>corrected?  Is the submitter notified?

I think I proposed that we fix the obvious issues ourselves (i.e. the
reviewer does it and mentions it in the review report), but that we
contact the submitter if there are several ways to fix the test
sample or if there are other unclarities. Regarding changes and
notifications to the submitter, we have several options (not mutually
exclusive): sending them an e-mail, and asking them to subscribe to
the "Recent Changes" RSS feed for the Wiki page with the reviews of
their submission(s).

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
K.U.Leuven - Departement of Electrical Engineering - Research Group