Re: Test Samples review

Hi,

At 16:10 4/12/2007, Carlos Iglesias wrote:
>teleconference, here you have a summary of the
>issues I found reviewing test samples.

Thanks for the review and the summary.

As a result of the structure reviews, I had a
number of action items related to these issues.

>Please note that, although being based on the
>review of test samples sc3.3.1_l1_018 to 020,
>most (or all) of them are likely to affect several other test samples.
>
>STRUCTURE REVIEW
>
>- There are still references to files that don't
>follow the naming convention
>(processformdummy.html, sc3.3.css) and JS is
>embedded instead of in a separate file.

processformdummy.html is used in 31 test files
(for SC 3.3.1, 3.3.2 and 3.3.5); the same applies to sc3.3.css.
<script type="text/javascript"> occurs in 24 test
files (SC 2.5.1, 3.3.1, 3.3.2 and 3.3.5).
This is too much to fix today, so I'll get back to this later.

>- There's an embedded BTW copyright notice in the .html files

I have removed them from all files on the repository.

>- Use of a couple of properties (complexity and
>rule) that are part of TCDL but not of TS Metadata.

rule is OK. It is actually essential.
I propose that we add "complexity" to the
metadata documentation at
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/tests/usingTCDL>, e.g.
requiring that complexity is always atomic.
See previous threads starting from
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-ert-tsdtf/2007Mar/0027.html>
and
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-ert-tsdtf/2007Apr/0013.html>.

>- XPath expressions like
>/:html/:body/:form/:div/:input[1] without
>explicit namespaces ("/:" vs. "/hml:" for
>example). I'm not sure whether this is valid or not, but at least confusing.

I have replaced the empty namespace prefix with
'h' in all the metadata, so now we have
expressions like "/h:html/h:body/...". I have
changed the namespaceMappings element in the files to reflect this.

>- Invalid ID references at rulesets.xml (still
>think that using WCAG references directly would be our best option)

I have fixed this in all TCDL files on the repository.

>CONTENT REVIEW
>
>- The test samples introduce some potential bad
>practices, for example not using a fieldset, div
>and brs instead of paragraphs, or relaying on JS for the form submission.
>
>It's not clear how to proceed in this situation
>but I don't think we should "promote" this,
>specially taking into consideration that this
>kind of practices may be specifically discouraged by other techniques.

I will follow up on this later.

>- The "expert guidance" element in the metadata
>provides extra information about user testing
>that is not present in the related test procedures.

I have forwarded this issue to the BenToWeb mailing list.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe