Re: WAI-AGE - Observations and conclusions

>From the "conclude" document: "the requirements for older users hardly
mention the actual development of Web sites."

This is symptomatic of the old "why would a blind guy want to build a Web
site?" query from the clueless. That this pervades all aspects of society is
clear from the fact that academic research is rife with essentially
pejorative views of "elders" - if not pejorative at least exclusivist.

"the initial premise of this project that older Web users and people with
disabilities have very similar requirements, but that this is not recognised
by either the elderly community and their representatives nor by the Web
development community."

I know we're not in the "rights movement" business, but overcoming the
exclusion that is furthered by these studies should get some attention. Also
the "similar requirements" non-recognition warrants almost a resounding
"Duh!"

Love.