Re: Director-less W3C

> On Feb 17, 2020, at 6:12 , Daniel Dardailler <daniel.dardailler@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In the version I read
>   https://services.w3.org/htmldiff?doc1=https%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fw3process%2F&doc2=https%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fw3process%2Fdirector-free#tag-appointment-committee
>
> There is the new super-committee / Council (TAG+AB) to control the now all-empowered staff,

That’s not what the Council is for; it’s to ratify, and if needed make, Decisions on Formal Objections.

> and there is a new TAG Appointment Committee.

Right, got it. I forgot the ‘Committee to replace the Director to make TAG nominations”

> With a Technical Director function and the existing AC appeal, I don't think we need the Council protection.
> And whether or not we implement a Technical Director function, the new TAG sub-committee seems way too heavy a procedure to put in place vs. its job: selecting 3 participants from the "outside". The staff/CEO/Director selects those today, and unless there is an issue with this system, it seems more reasonable to transfer this task to the CEO, since it's more political than technical.

The AB felt that it shouldn’t be political, actually; that one of our goals in this was to enable the TAG to get the balance and diversity it needs, and that actually it’ll take a variety of people trying to juggle various balance axes, to come up with nominations.

So, the essence of your concern is that the TAG Appointment Committee it too heavy, and we should have the CEO appoint?

David Singer

singer@mac.com