Re: Agenda: Process Document TF Telcon on Monday, 12 September, 2016

On 9/9/2016 3:04 AM, David Singer wrote:
> Hi Steve, friends
>
> I sent in some comments just before the deadline, can they be on the list of edits, please?
>
> On TAG/AB vacated seats <https://www.w3.org/community/w3process/wiki/Advisory_Board_and_Technical_Architecture_Group_Vacated_Seats_Comment>:
>
> Current text:
>
> An Advisory Board or TAG participant's seat is vacated when either of the following occurs:
>
>  • the participant resigns, or
>  • the Chair asks the participant to resign.
>
> I think this is not right; the chair does not have the authority to remove someone at whim, do they?

Apparently, at the moment the chair does have that authority.

We may want to change this in Process 2017, but I would be reluctant to
make such a change so late in the game with little review.  I can
certainly imagine a case where Tim might want to remove someone
unhelpful from the TAG.

>   And even for the cases where resignation is forced because of the rules, the choice of who resigns is not made by the Chair.  So, actually, I think it’s more like:
>
> An Advisory Board or TAG participant's seat is vacated when the participant resigns, either voluntarily or in order to satisfy the _participation requirements_.
>

> Also, this is very confused:
>
> "When an Advisory Board or TAG participant changes affiliations, as long as Advisory Board and TAG participation constraints are respected, the individual may continue to participate until the next regularly scheduled election for that group. Otherwise, the seat is vacated."
>
> a) AB has a hard ‘no two reps from the same member’, so it’s misleading for the AB (there is no way to respect the rule and continue to serve)

The way to respect the rule is if someone changes affiliations to a new
organization not currently represented on the AB.