Re: Obsoleting

On Mon, 09 May 2016 17:11:18 +0100, David Singer <singer@mac.com> wrote:

>> On May 9, 2016, at 9:59 , Chaals McCathie Nevile
>> <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 09 May 2016 16:34:19 +0100, David Singer <singer@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, yes.  Maybe we need to go back to deprecated?
>>
>> I don't think so.
>>
>> HTML 4.01 made HTML 4.0 obsolete. HTML 5 may have made HTML 4 obsolete.
>>

> Right.  And that’s exactly NOT the case we’re discussing here.  We’re
> discussing where the only (last) spec in a chain is something we no
> longer recommend. We don’t want to use this process to state that HTML5
> makes HTML4.1 obsolete ;-(

I agree...

>> WALL/WURFL and the W3C Device Description work were among the factors
>> that made CC/PP obsolete.
>>
>> None of which matters much in determining whether it is or is not
>> obsolete.
>>
>> So I don't think there is an issue here. And I think "dbsolete" is
>> clearer plainer english that "deprecated", which I only know of as a
>> term amongst "spec-heads”.
>
> agreed, and why we switched.  but we’re causing confusion.  Is there a
> third word meaning ‘not recommended’?

I don't think we are causing confusion. The fact that a spec published by
W3C is a specific thing that makes another obsolete doesn't conflict with
the fact that a given spec may be obsolete.

We're working on a process that allows us to point out something is
obsolete without having to provide a specific replacement - effectively
enabling us to reflect reality better without a pile of unnecessary
administrative hurdles.

So the term "obsolete" is fine for both cases, even though there are
different ways that things come to be called obsolete.

cheers