Re: Obsoleting

On Saturday 2016-05-07 21:50 -0400, Jeff Jaffe wrote:
> Is there any conflict between the current discussion of obsoleting and the
> previous usage of the term in W3C.  As one random example, HTML 4.01 in its
> Status says that it obsoletes HTML 4 [1].

One thing that came up in the TAG's teleconference last week (which
I think Dan was going to send a note about?) was that some/many TAG
members felt uncomfortable being the technical authority for
obsoletion decisions for specs whose working group still exists, but
were more comfortable being part of the process as the backstop when
the working group no longer exists.

I think that discussion actually fits well with the idea that these
two concepts of obsoletion are (or should be) the same.

(The one other thing I was worried about with this obsoletion
discussion was that it might be creating a process that's hard
enough to complete that it will never be used successfully.)

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.