Re: WICG Incubation vs CSSWG Process

On 12/27/2016 06:09 PM, Brian Kardell wrote:
>fantasai wrote:
>>
>> Whether or not incubation involves [implementing and/or shipping
>> a feature ] depends on who you're asking. I'm merely pointing out
>> that to the extent that it would involve that, it would circumvent
>> the WG's ability to "review", as Michael put it.
>
> ... this does not fit the meaning of incubation of anything I have
> advocated for nor how I have seen anything work so far in WICG.
> Nothing in incubation should ship into production natively.  I would
> actually consider this a thing that incubation is there to help prevent
>
> I'm not trying to be argumentative here I'm just stressing that I think
> it's really difficult to have any kind of conversation without a fair
> degree of common understanding what the words even mean.  If there is
> an especially ambiguous understanding of what is meant by incubation
> (and there seems to be), then _that_ seems like something we should
> work to clear that up ASAP, before continuing other sorts of discussions
> that require that.  How can we do that?

Maybe not have people be like "I made a draft in the WICG, there were
a handful of comments there that were addressed, we're planning to
ship it in a couple of months, just fyi." [1][2] and then assert that
this doesn't happen?

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2016Dec/0000.html

[2] For context, stuff isn't approved by the *CSSWG* for production
     unless it's either in CR or there's an explicit CSSWG resolution
     about it; that's very clearly stated and was agreed to by all
     Members in
       https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS/#future-proofing

Anyway, this is off-topic for this thread, maybe start a new one
titled "Can we get consensus on what incubation means".

~fantasai