Re: Normative references and stable documents

[adding Steve and Chaals]

On 10/9/2014 3:35 PM, Wayne Carr wrote:

> On 2014-10-09 12:02, Michael Champion (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
>>
>> It would be great to start harvesting from this set of threads some
>> concrete suggestions for changing the formal W3C process and informal
>> practices to address some of acknowledged problems.  Just to start
>> things off:
>>
>> 1.Errata - Chairs and the team should more strongly encourage WGs to
>> identify outright errors and fix them quickly, ideally inline in the
>> published document but at least in an errata document. Jeff’s blog
>> <http://www.w3.org/blog/2014/10/decision-by-consensus-or-by-informed-editor-which-is-better/>
>> acknowledges that W3C can learn from WHATWG on this, and we need to
>> make it happen.
>>

> +1 We should figure out how to make this easy to do.

Yes, this is Issue-141 [1].  Let's hope that the task force takes this
up quickly.  Thanks David S. for the thoughts.  Anyone have other ideas?

[1] http://www.w3.org/community/w3process/track/issues/141

>> 2.Published drafts of W3C specs should have sections annotated with
>> information about how stable, widely accepted,  widely implemented,
>> and proven in practice the feature as defined in the spec is.  It
>> might be a good idea to flesh that list/taxonomy out and make some
>> concrete suggestions for the process or practice.
>>

> +1 I think there's often agreement this is a good idea.  It would be a
> good practice for WGs to adopt.  It could also be something WG
> Charters require.  Both of the first 2 are things we should let slip.

I had thought we had an open issue to address this, but I cannot find
it.  Does anyone recall where that went?

>> 3.We could revisit the very thorny question of how to ensure that
>> owners of specs and products that depend on a W3C spec actually
>> review changes early in the process before changes are set in stone.
>> Hixie’s proposal that specs and dependencies be changed in lockstep
>> is interesting but could not possibly scale up to include all
>> stakeholders at Web scale. And as Daniel Glazman has pointed out,
>> this simply doesn’t work for many enterprises who want to control the
>> rhythm of  their own infrastructure and app updates themselves. But
>> I’m sure we can do better than we do now.
>>
>> 4.Jeff’s blog mentioned that Community Groups – which do not require
>> broad consensus to proceed, but do not produce “standards” – are a
>> way to develop specs more quickly. Indeed, the whole point of the
>> blog was to muse on the right balance between strong editors (that
>> some CGs have) driving “lazy consensus”
>> <http://openoffice.apache.org/docs/governance/lazyConsensus.html> (to
>> adopt the Apache term) and traditional W3C “broad consensus.” Should
>> we discuss how CGs and WGs fit together in the W3C culture and
>> process, continue to let them evolve independently from the process
>> doc and team’s oversight, more strongly encourage specs to be
>> incubated in CGs before a WG is chartered to standardize them, or what?
>>

> Moving to incubating specs in CGs before a WG can result in developing
> initial specs without broad consensus, and maybe with no consensus at
> all - just what a Chair decides.  You can wind up with key decisions
> made where all participants are not treated equally and by the time it
> gets to a WG it could be in implementation and difficult to shift
> course.  An alternative to that is to have some basic rules in CGs
> through use of a Charter. There is a Charter template with rules like
> that at: http://www.w3.org/community/about/ on the right Charter
> Templates which leads to
> http://www.w3.org/community/council/wiki/Templates/CG_Charter .  There
> are 2 CG/BGs in the process of very quickly moving to WGs with specs
> where earlier versions of that Charter template were used.  (Second
> Screen Presentation CG <http://www.w3.org/community/webscreens/> and
> Automotive and Web Platform BG
> <http://www.w3.org/community/autowebplatform/> ).  Requiring basic
> fairness in those groups didn't slow them down at all.  They can make
> decisions in a very lightweight way, but there are process rules in
> place to deal with problems if they arise.

I think that Wayne is correct in his analysis.  Perhaps instead of a
formal change in the process we need a Best Practices document which
would advice how CGs could work in a way that facilitates moving to the
REC track.