Re: Workshop and meeting requirements

Sigh.  There is more in this entire thread that I can really get to, so I
want to underscore some points.

   - I disagree that in-person presence is vastly better than remote
   participation.  In short, I didn't go to Shenzhen at all (setting political
   reasons aside), because the hassle of getting there was simply too much to
   take out of my schedule at the time.  We owe it to the Membership to make
   remote participation workable.  Yes, there will always be value in meeting
   people ftf.  That doesn't mean we should continue to optimize around
   getting everyone in the same room at the same time, because that optimizes
   for those who will travel, can afford to travel, etc.  As Chaals said, this
   unfairly optimizes.
   - The Shenzhen WebRTC meeting was (afaict) poorly planned (due to
   expectation setting) and poorly executed (due to network and hardware).  I
   desperately wish that it had not happened, or that people would stop
   considering it as a test case, because those are solvable problems.  I've
   had two separate remote meetings this morning already, and both were a
   wildly better experience than flying to London to meet with the
   attendees. I think that meeting DOES underscore how critically important
   remote participation is to encouraging participation, since it turned out I
   wasn't the only one around who wanted to stay physically on my current side
   of the world.  This may sound exclusionary; quite the opposite, I want to
   enable those in China (or wherever) to productively participate when I set
   up a meeting in Mountain View on short notice.
   - I agree with David's "strength of outcome is related to opportunity to
   participate".
   - To Chaals' reluctance to reduce notice requirement: I don't have a
   problem with 8 week notice for physical open workshops, or
   required-attendance FTF meetings, and I would not like to have 1 week
   scheduling be the norm or anything.  However, we already have the ability
   to be more agile, in the current process, given sufficient remote
   participation capability; if we continue to say that's undesirable, we
   simply encourage work to happen outside the aegis of the W3C.

And that last point is simply my main one: if we do not enable agile,
distributed, remotely-participated-in work to happen - with the caveat that
we are optimizing for openness and inclusion - then work will continue to
happen outside the W3C; I'll just stop feeling bad about it.

To be clear again - I do not believe this requires changes to the Process;
it simply means most meetings are distributed, and we put emphasis on
enabling remote participation.  I do not particularly care about revamping
Workshops, because I can always create a Community Group and call a
distributed meeting.  :)