Re: incubation in CGs and W3C Notes when a WG drops work on a spec - was: Re: Comments on https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/AB/raw-file/5508dec95a6a/tr.html

On Jun 18, 2014, at 18:44 , Wayne Carr <wayne.carr@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 2014-06-18 16:53, Michael Champion (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
>> Obviously not for this revision of the process document, but if we were to insist/encourage that specs be incubated in Community Groups under its IPR policy before going to the Rec Track, we would at least have RF commitments from the folks that contributed an idea to the CG. Ideally a good set of people would have signed the Final Specification Agreement, giving specs that lose traction and end up as Notes IPR standing.
>
> We're off the topic of the comments on this proposed chapter 7 change now, so i changed the subject.
>
> Whenever this comes up about using CGs as incubators for WGs, I always am cautious because unlike WGs, CGs do not have to operate by consensus.   There is a charter template that doesn't have that problem, but CGs don't have to use that or use any charter at all. Without a charter, the chair can just do what they like.  If it became some sort of requirement to use CGs as incubators, that shouldn't be a path around having to seek consensus.

Yes, but this doesn’t affect the IPR status;  if contributors sign the CLA and a reasonable crowd sign the FSA, then there is some IPR coverage.  Whether the spec is worth publishing, represents consensus, or anything, is quite a different question.

> About your point about ending up as notes and having been in a CG first -- that doesn't resolve the problem unless the model you're proposing is to do virtually all technical work in a CG and only bring it into a WG when all but done.  What looks like a pretty good spec from some external source goes into a WG, the WG makes significant improvements and then it turns out there aren't 2 implementations and it is abandoned and published as a Note.  If that's to go back to an open source project that uses CC By for instance, that's a problem because they may lose all the changes because they don't have copyright permission to use it.
>
> I proposed a couple of years ago that drafts that have significant work on them and then are dropped be published as Notes under the CC By license so they can be taken up again by the initial source or someone else.

That’s a different question — copyright status — from the initial one, which was IPR status.  If the WG added stuff, take it back into a CG and try to get all the contributors to join and sign the FSA.