RE: AB size [Was: Re: Is strategic voting a problem? - was RE: Don't disclose election results]

[SZ] The question you are asking is quite appropriate. To help answer it, I will point to several sources that might be of help:
1. In the past, the AB did a presentation to the AC on what they had done in the past 6 months. This was discontinued when the focus shifted to how the Web and the W3C should grow. For an example of such a presentation, look at: https://www.w3.org/2008/Talks/0422-ac-ab/#(1)
2. When the Patent Policy was to be presented to the AC for its consideration and review, the AB helped the Team shape the presentation to the AC to answer as many likely questions as possible and avoid confusion. This clearly had to be done at the last minute.
3. Some activities, such as hiring decisions, necessarily require limiting knowledge (during the search process) to a smaller number of people (and only a subset of the AB participated).
4. Two of this morning (Tuesday, 10 June 2014)'s sessions benefited from AB help: (1) the Webizen Proposal and (2) Team speaking on Policy Matters.  These, however, were not strictly urgent and could have (and some cases tried to) enlisted participation by any W3C participant.

Steve Zilles