RE: Disclosure and information proposal

> Michael - what about survey bit... Comments?
> > Can we send out a questionare and maybe even actively ask people a few questions about their participation

It would be great to have good data, but I’m skeptical that people who don’t respond to W3C ballots will answer survey questions as to why they don’t, and those who do answer are not representative almost by definition given the turnout rate. If the team did a real sample survey of AC members AND try hard to get an answer out of, that could be interesting but the cost would be non-trivial to do a good job. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_poll has a summary of the challenges – representative sampling difficulty, non-response biases, question wording biases, etc.

So I’d ask a meta-question: is the Silent Majority issue a real problem for W3C worth investing in?  From a quick look at https://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/orgs about 1/4 of W3C members don’t participate any ANY groups besides the AC.  That’s way down from the last time I looked a few years ago when about half the entries in that table indicated “1 participant in 1 group”.  (That might be a statistical question for the team: are non-participants in WGs more likely to be non-voters?)  I’m not  sure it’s a problem if lots of people out there decide to donate to W3C without getting involved in the work or the politics.  Lurkers numerically predominate over active participants in almost every community.  As an incurable non-lurker I’m interested in why, but not sure there is a pragmatic need for an answer.