Re: Disclosing election results (was Re: Result Re: Call for Consensus - "Use 'Schulze STV' for voting")

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Daniel Glazman <
daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:

> On 02/06/2014 21:06, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
>
> > I'd be happy to have the pattern data, but not the candidate names -
> i.e. anonymize them so we can't figure out who romped in, who scraped in,
> and who
> > was beaten out by a single vote - or only got 1.
>
> Then I disagree. Publishing anonymized data is not useful to people
> not drastically involved in W3C Process. I suggest then W3M shares
> *all* election data with the AB, in full confidentiality. I don't
> even know if it's already the case today or not, and that says
> something about the opaqueness of our electoral system...
>
> The AC would get, as I said earlier, number of votes globally and
> per candidate and that would be enough IMHO.
>
> (please note that even if the votes are ballots, the results are
>  counted per person)
>
> </Daniel>

I assume that the actual system stores 'ballot' records, I'd like to
propose that those are exported anonymously - it is possible to glean
slightly more data that way and certainly no more difficult for a
reasonably intelligent person to create a 'count' for each candidate even
in a simple csv which doesn't provide that directly.  I'm reasonably sure
that within an hour or so of release, someone will re-post with counts if
not provided.

Let's not overcomplicate things, just keep it simple :)