Re: w3process-ISSUE-104 (AB-transparency): AB should conduct all non-sensitive e-mail on a Public or Member list [Advisory Board]

On 9 Jul 2014, at 3:32 am, Michael Champion (MS OPEN TECH) <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com> wrote:

> It's hard to disagree in principle,

You seem to be having a good go at it :)

> but I'm not sure what this means in practice:
> - What larger problem is this intended to help solve?

The W3C appearing to be a closed shop that's out of touch with the "real" Web.

> How can we assess whether we succeeded if we adopt this proposal?

The W3C still exists in ten years.

> - Assuming that people are going to be more frank in their analysis and advice in a private setting than if they could set off a Twitterstorm by saying something politically incorrect, in what circumstances do the benefits of openness outweigh the loss of frankness?

Case-by-case

> - What counts as "sensitive"?

Up to personal judgement + legal advice received

> - What's the relative priority of addressing this issue compared to all the others on the AB agenda?

Priority alone is an inappropriate measure; if the effort to decide in enact it is trivial, it can be very low priority and still easily accomplished.

Having said that, hopefully the upcoming survey will give the AB a good feel for its priority.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham    mnot@akamai.com    https://www.mnot.net/