Re: Suggested edits [Was: Analysis of redundancy of text on Notes in draft Chapter 7]

On Feb 17, 2014, at 12:57 PM, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2014, at 12:52 PM, "Charles McCathie Nevile" <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 19:25:33 +0100, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Charles,
>>>
>>> Here is an analysis of the redundancy of information on Notes in the 5 Feb 2014
>>> draft chapter 7 [1]. In particular:
>>>
>>> * Definition of Note (3x)
>>> * Examples (3x)
>>> * Used to stop work on Rec (2x)
>>> * No prior WD required (2x)
>>>
>>> In separate email I will propose changes.
>>
>> Before you do, please look at the 14 feb draft (or the one I will push tonight, but on notes they are the same), where I revised the text as explained in the previous dicsussion on this topic.

Hi Charles,

I looked at the 14 Feb draft.

* 7.1: Comments still apply.
* 7.1.2: Add to the end of your text: "A Note has no  formal standing as a W3C Recommendation. " I think this text makes sense
   here rather than elsewhere because it is part of a definition of the maturity level.
* 7.3.3: Comments still apply (that is: no change required)
* 7.8 Publishing a Working Group or Interest Group Note: Your text looks fine. You put the bulk of the examples here (I had them
    in the definition but it's ok to list them here instead) and also added the "prior publication" bullet point which I had wanted.
   You may still want a cross ref from this section to the definition of Note.

Thanks!

Ian

> Hi Charles,
>
> I already have the suggestions ready to go. If there's time to get them into the draft you push tonight, that would be great, otherwise please consider them for the next draft.
>
> I believe the rewrite keeps all the key information:
>
> * Definition
> * No formal standing as a Recommendation
> * Examples
> * Usage for stopping wrok
> * No prior WD required
>
> I have added some cross-references as part of the edits.
>
> Ian
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-w3process/2014Feb/0049.html
>
> -----------------------------------
> 7.1 W3C Technical Reports
>
> Change the whole section "Groups....historical reference." to:
>
>  Groups may also publish other material as <a href="#WGNote">W3C Notes</a> for
>  informative, administrative, and historical purposes.
>
> -----------------------------------
> 7.1.2 Maturity Levels
>
>   A Working Group Note or Interest Group Note is published by a
>   chartered Working Group or Interest Group to provide a stable
>   reference for a document that is not intended to be a specification
>   requiring conformance, but is nevertheless useful.  A Note has no
>   formal standing as a W3C Recommendation. Notes are used, for
>   example, to document cases and requirements, good practices,
>   background information for a specification, or to let
>   the world known Recommendation-track work has stopped or been
>   abandoned (see section 7.3.3.).
>
> 7.3.3 Stopping Work on a specification
>
>   No changes proposed
>
> 7.8 Publishing a Working Group or Interest Group Note
>
>  Delete "Working Groups and Interest Groups publish material that is
>  not a formal specification as Notes. This may include supporting
>  documentation for a specification, such as requirements, use cases,
>  good practices and the like, as well as specifications where work
>  has been stopped and there is no longer interest in making them a
>  new standard."
>
>  Change "In order to publish a Note a Working Group or Interest Group:"

>   In order to publish a <a href="#WGNote">Note</a>, a Working Group
>   or Interest Group:"
>
>  Following the bullet list, add:

>   without its prior publication as a Working Draft.</p>
>

> --
> Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>      http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
> Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447

Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447