Re: What is Process Good For? licensing

From: Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 14:20:43 -0500
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>, public-w3process <public-w3process@w3.org>
On 12/16/2014 02:13 PM, David Singer wrote:

>> On Dec 16, 2014, at 9:18 , Wayne Carr <wayne.carr@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> What's wrong with something like the BSD license?  or asking Creative Commons to create a simple document license that is compatible with GPL (and other popular software licenses) and that requires things like preserving copyright notices and disclaimers?
>
> It would be good to have a simple ‘please attribute but otherwise do as you will” text (copyright) license in existence that does not have the problems of cc-by.  ideally it already exists and we avoid license proliferation.

I believe we have that in the W3C Software License, a BSD variant that's
already recognized as OSI Open Source and GPL-compatible.

http://opensource.org/licenses/W3C

We're aiming to take a first step toward more liberal licensing with the
proposal, currently before the AC, to offer Code Components under the
Software License:

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2014/doc-license.html

--Wendy

Policy Counsel and Domain Lead, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
http://wendy.seltzer.org/        +1.617.863.0613 (mobile)