Re: What is Process Good For?

> On Dec 16, 2014, at 9:18 , Wayne Carr <wayne.carr@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
> What's wrong with something like the BSD license?  or asking Creative Commons to create a simple document license that is compatible with GPL (and other popular software licenses) and that requires things like preserving copyright notices and disclaimers?

It would be good to have a simple ‘please attribute but otherwise do as you will” text (copyright) license in existence that does not have the problems of cc-by.  ideally it already exists and we avoid license proliferation.

>> 2.  Contributors.  First let's NOT create a system that requires non-W3C members to become Invited Experts.  I think it's very clear that experiment by the HTML WG failed.  We do want outside people to participate in developing web platform specs, including both those who have some philosophical reason not to work at W3C even though their employers are members, and the hopefully much larger group of website developers who know what their frustrations are and have ideas on how to improve the experience.  I believe the CG model, or at least the CG CLA as a GitHub license file that people agree to when they make a pull request, is about the right mix of flexibility and legality.
>
> with the hard part deciding when the commitments need to be from their employer, not the individual (because they're doing it as part of employment for a corporation with a relevant patent portfolio).
>
> But, I agree GitHub contributing and licensing files are a good approach, and also CLA like rules for WGs for contributions.

me too

Perhaps my initial remarks have sparked more than I expected.  Having processes to handle difficulty and dissent does NOT mean that you expect everything to move at the glacial pace of tasks that are mired in difficulty and dissent.

Yes, we need leaner, more ‘agile’ practices, with the safeguards a process provides.

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.