Re: voting simple illustration

Yes, we are in a similar boat. It is indeed a nice example.

In the voting scheme proposed, you would rank A,B,<no other candidate>, as I understand it.  Then if others rate B,A,<no other candidate>, your vote rolls over to B who gets elected, but you don’t roll to C or D.

As I said before, I think that having the <no other candidate> be implicit in the voting instructions (“rank the candidates you would be willing to see elected, in your preferred order”) is simpler on small-brain voters…

On Aug 21, 2014, at 9:56 , Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> It seems to me that a lot of illustrations and Chaals' descriptions
> have been fairly complicated about strategic voting and many
> candidates, but it strikes me that the current TAG election is
> actually an excellent simple illustration.
>
> We have 4 candidates for a single seat.  Of course, they are all
> qualified, but we're voting here so lets be honest, you're going to to
> pick someone you think would be best at this stage of things. In my
> mind, I'm having trouble picking between two candidates which I both
> see as having more pros than the other two, and I slightly prefer one
> to the other in a single regard.  The point is, I'll be considerably
> happier if either or my preferences win, and considerably less so if
> the others win.  The strategic voting question and rationale for
> preferential expression is all right there.
>
> If I think that A is slightly better than B for some subtle reason,
> but that both A and B are better than C or D, there is no way to
> express that.  If B is better known, they have a better chance of
> winning.  Do I throw in with them because I think that they have the
> best mix of "can actually win and is the best candidate?"  Do I talk
> to my friends about "A or B"?  This means that they'll split a vote
> whereas very possibly C or D won't, and C will walk away with it...
> Even though very possibly most people agree with the idea that both A
> and B are preferable to C.
>
> At the end of the day, this is kind of silly because the above isn't
> that complicated - if I could say "I slightly prefer A to B, but I
> significantly prefer A and B to C and D" then we'd yield the result
> that the most people are the most happy with.
>
> --
> Brian Kardell :: @briankardell :: hitchjs.com

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.