Re: w3process-ISSUE-60 (Ch7-Evolution): Chapter 7 should be moved to Github to encourage and facilitate contributions to its evolution [Document life cycle (ch 7)]

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 18:47:10 +0700, Revising W3C Process Community Group
Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:

> w3process-ISSUE-60 (Ch7-Evolution): Chapter 7 should be moved to Github
> to encourage and facilitate contributions to its evolution [Document
> life cycle (ch 7)]
>
> http://www.w3.org/community/w3process/track/issues/60
>
> Raised by: Arthur Barstow
> On product: Document life cycle (ch 7)
>
> The entire "Web Community" (not just the Consortium) should be
> encouraged to help with the evolution of Chapter 7. As such, the
> document should be moved to GitHub (or some similar service) to
> facilitate contributions from non Consortium members.

If people have good ideas for improving W3C process, that fit with the
needs of W3C, they are welcome. But I think "encouraging drive-by Pull
Requests" is a Bad Idea™, for several reasons:

I don't have the bandwidth to do spam management for the process.

W3C Process is not a community-wide open source project, it is an
agreement between W3C and its members, which happens to explain how
non-members are welcome to participate in development of W3C work too.
While doing the development of the process in public seems important to
me (enough that I spent a lot of time making it possible), the content is
not a public decision, it is a question for W3C and its members.

And while it is sorely in need of some updating, it is actually unhelpful
to have it in the sort of unstable state Github is designed to support.
People need to use the process, which means they need to know what it is,
and following a chain of github requests isn't particularly conducive to
keeping track of it.

So I don't plan to move the work to Github. Having it on the existing
mercurial repository where W3C people can make patches, and getting better
at recording the changes that are made, seems useful. Moving to github
doesn't.

IMHO. Other editors may volunteer for something different.