From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 9:58 PM
To: Charles McCathie Nevile
Cc: Jeff Jaffe; Michael Champion (MS OPEN TECH); Stephen Zilles; Ralph Swick; Advisory Board; W3C Process Community Group
Subject: Re: Transition to a revised Technical Report Development Process [W3Process-ISSUE-39,  W3Process-ACTION-10, proposal]

On Nov 5, 2013, at 19:54 , Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

>>> How about "getting ready for LCCR"?
>>
>> a name for the *document* that they believe is their candidate.
>
> "Proposed Last Call draft"? "Editor's draft proposal for CR"? "The draft before the draft that will be proposed as CR"? "Working Draft that seems to resolve all known open issues but needs a linkcheck before we propose it for CR"?
>
> I'm unclear why a working draft needs a particular name, and sceptical that adding such names to the process is helpful.

Because there are bewildering numbers of WDs from groups, most of them unreadable or not really ready for comment.  Something that says "ok guys. this might be half-readable" is a Nice Sign.

"Draft Proposal" or "Proposed Draft" would be fine, for example.

> The status section is there to clarify exactly where a document is up to, when it is between the clearly defined stages. And Working Groups are meant to be freer to determine how they want to handle the progression. Against that, I'd rather not define lots of stage names.

I think this is likely to leave us all in a bewildering variety of practices, and very hard to notice what's going on.  I want those notices from the W3C that such-and-such a group is asking for wider review, please.

> If there are clear requests based on multiple groups doing the same thing I think we should reconsider this question. I haven't seen that to date.

It's not INSIDE the groups that this is a problem.  It is for the Rest of Us.