Re: URIs / Ontology for Physical Units and Quantities

I think a validator should simply use the list of valid codes from the most recent UN/CEFACT document (available as MS Excel from http://www.unece.org/cefact/codesfortrade/codes_index.html).

There might be unit of measurement ontologies out there that hold the UN/CEFACT Common Code string for a subset of all units as a literal value. But for validation, one should use the authoritative list from the Excel files (since they are updated from time to time).

URIs are not better than strings for validation, because URIs are strings.

Best wishes / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Martin Hepp

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group