Re: Collection / Container / List (+Pagination)

On 03/06/2015 03:30 PM, Jarno van Driel wrote:
> If I remember correctly during the discussions surrounding ItemList Richard
> Wallis mentioned 'curated' lists as well and what came out of that was that
> a collection could be expressed by using an multi-type entity like
> [ItemList, CreativeWork] as the having access to CreativeWork's properties
> is a 'must' to be able to express a curated list.
I may misunderstand some things abou current schema.org model, but in
RDF you can use *any* property from *any* vocabulary on *any* entity.
Unless a property has explicit constraint as disjoint with some other
property(ies)
http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/#Disjoint_Object_Properties

I thinks this makes one of the biggest differences to what people get
used to in Object Oriented programming languages!

If you use rdfs:domain and rdfs:range it can cause additional inferences
e.g. adding more types to "@type" but schema org uses 'relaxed' / 'just
a hint' version of them - schema:domainIncludes and schema:rangeIncludes
which don't cause any inferences.

{
  "@context": "http://schema.org",
  "name": "elf Pavlik",
  "knows": {
    "name": "Peter Pan"
  }
}

causes no inferences in RDFS reasoner, but running same reasoner on

{
  "@context": [
    "http://schema.org",
    {"foaf": "http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/ "} ],
  "name": "elf Pavlik",
  "foaf:knows": {
    "name": "Peter Pan"
  }
}

will use rdfs:domain and rdfs:range from foaf:knows definition and infer
*two* triples "@type": "foaf:Person"
http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_knows

{
  "@context": [
    "http://schema.org",
    {"foaf": "http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/ "} ],
  "@type": "foaf:Person",
  "name": "elf Pavlik",
  "foaf:knows": {
    "@type": "foaf:Person",
    "name": "Peter Pan"
  }
}

Still you can use "foaf:knows" on a Car or Book if you don't mind
reasoner producing "@type": ["Book", "foaf"Person"]. When using "knows"
from schema.org you can state that a Book knows a Car without any
consequences. (Maybe validation tools would give some warnings, based on
... any documentation for that?)

> Unfortunately I couldn't find any reference to that part of the discussion
> nor whether an MTE like the one I mentioned is how Collections should be
> expressed. Maybe Richard could say something about this as well?
Mail archives don't work very well as reference, i recommend capturing
stuff on one of the wikis
* https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas
* https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/wiki

Cheers!